Saturday 18 June 2011

Movie: Green Lantern (2011)

Rating: C+

Seriously, I'm getting a little tired of movies meandering in mediocrity this year. I've yet to see a single film this year that's blown me away. 2010 was a Smörgåsbord of absolutely brilliant films. Green Lantern, continues this trend of pedestrian product.



Green Lantern is JUST funny enough, JUST presentable enough, JUST entertaining enough, JUST...well...I think you know what I'm getting at. It's a good thing they cast Ryan Reynolds in the lead role, otherwise, I fear this movie would have just fallen flat. I mean, just when I was starting to think that Blake Lively could act (See The Town), she goes back gives a performance that is JUST noticeable enough.

As with X-Men: First Class, and Thor earlier this year, the introduction of the movie takes too long. They don't really have much of a choice, they're trying to introduce everybody and trying to set up the situation, but the movie is (thankfully) only 105 minutes long, but the introduction is unfortunately, too long, too tedious, and too tiresome. It does seem however, that there will be a sequel. If that's the case, I think that they will do a better job of it all. Less flying back and forth between planets and less trying to figure out who I am moments.


To summarise, it's JUST watchable enough.

Just a few more personal thoughts after the Jump....
I know they were trying to give Hal Jordan more depth of character, but the transformation was too big and too fast. He goes from being a wise-ass with no sense of responsibility to a guy that seems to forget how to have fun anymore. I would have liked it better if he'd kept his wise-cracking and harness it through the powers of the ring. His first real unveiling was great, but he subsequently forgot how to have fun.

Was that really Mark Strong? The voice was really familiar to me, but I simply couldn't see it through the makeup of the Sinestro guise. And unless you pay really close attention, you'd never guess that they cast Geoffrey Rush as the voice of Tomar-Re. This will have been Rush's 3rd movie in half a year. Huh. Go figure (The King's Speech, Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides).

I really liked the fact that we didn't have to wait until AFTER the credits to see the bonus clip. It happens midway through the credits. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...