Wednesday 15 December 2010

Movie: Julie & Julia

Rating: B-

I like movies. I once did a 20 movie marathon. So it should come as no surprise that I will try to watch as many movies on planes as I possibly can. And it should also come as no surprise, that on planes, I've generally already watched many of the movies that are on the flight's library. So recently coming back from San Francisco, I found myself looking through Air Canada's current library, and finding that I'd already watched all the movies that I would normally enjoy. But I had heard a lot about the movie Julie & Julia, and how one person's life had inspired another's. So I thought I'd give it a try.



I wouldn't say that the movie is great. That being said, I did find it inspiring. While I don't consider myself I writer, I do enjoy writing. Upon watching this movie, I realised that I hadn't written in a while. Julia Powell sat down and decided that because she enjoyed eating and cooking, that The Julie/Julia Project would be her challenge. You could even say... Her outlet. I'm not certain if I can say that its inspired me to start writing again, but it did make me miss it.

So about the movie. I really didn't find much of the movie to be fantastic. Where it was smart, was telling both Julie Powell's story and Julia Child's story together. Where it was brilliant, was casting Meryl Streep as Julia Child. And while I'm certain that each story could have stood on its own, it was FAR more entertaining to watch both stories unfold together on the 7-inch screen not 2 feet from my face.

It's a feel good movie for sure, and totally enjoyable. But aside from Meryl Streep's exuberant depiction of Julia Child, it was just good. But I thought it had the potential to be great.


~Cheers.


P.S. One other thing I gleaned from this movie? Butter = Yum. =)~

2 comments:

  1. There is never too much butter right? ... Thanks for the reminder, I think I will start putting more butter for tonight's dish! :)

    As for the movie itself, I found it quite entertaining thanks to Meryl Streep as you mentioned. I also found it quite inspiring on a personal level similar to Eat Pray Love which both are targeting for a certain group of audiences in my opinion.

    The Julie story is nothing new but the key message in my opinion is how one is dedicated and committed to achieve something which many discourage. The same applies to Julia's story as well but the message remains the same throughout different era.

    The society nowadays are very commercially focused, many people lack the opportunity or willingness to say the least to explore what they find interesting. It is quite unfortunate if you ask me. I do hope whoever watched this movie can get something out of it in terms of commitment, devotion, dedication as well as how sometimes one has to be selfish to do something for his/her pleasure or enjoyment.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on starting this blog!!!

    Totally agree with you that this movie is not so great but definitely inspiring and in fact it also gave me the urge to start writing myself... However, not as determined as you are, and I forgot about this feeling until I read your blog... Good start, remember to keep updating!! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...