Monday 4 July 2011

Movie: After.Life (2009)

Rating: C-

You give credit where credit is due. I love movies that leave you wanting for more. I love movies that use misdirection. I love movies that make you scratch your head and make you think. But After.Life is a movie that seems to be puzzling for the sake of puzzlement.



Conceptually, I thought the movie was fantastic. But the application and execution were less so. From the trailer, you already know what the movie is about. Is Christina Ricci's character dead? Or the other question if you like; is Liam Neeson's character a gifted mortician or a deranged psychopath? I commend Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo for her effort of trying to keep the audience in limbo about what the truth is in both questions, but her effort ends up in a tired tedium. And it would have been less of a problem if there weren't so many holes in the movie. The result is that you end up not caring either way somewhere around 30 minutes into the movie.

I loved the use of Hydronium Bromide (spoiler alert if you click) in the movie. I thought Liam Neeson's portrayal as a chillingly nice, potentially gifted, probably deranged mortician to be outstanding. I'm confused at the point of Christina Ricci's, otherwise decent performance, nakedness for the majority of her scenes. And I am completely disappointed at how obvious these performances made evident, Justin Long's inability to act.

~Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...