Monday 18 April 2011

Movie: Hanna (2011)

Rating: B-

2011 has been rather slow. I've had to wait until NOW (April 16th) to finally find a movie that's really intrigued me enough to want to watch it. I never thought however, that a young actress that I never heard of...scratch that...a young actress whose name I can't even pronounce....scratch that... well, BOTH statements are correct...I never thought of a young actress whose name I can't pronounce and that I've never heard of would be so charismatic and captivating.



Saorise Ronan, whom apparently was in was in Atonement with Kiera Knightley (among other films), stars in this coming-of-age thriller. An fairly interesting concept that dances around a Grimm theme, the movie moves along at a fairly good clip, but I really wish that they would have found more depth in the characters and the stories. Hanna only grazes the surface of a story that could be so much more, but instead leaves too many loose ends and unanswered questions.

While the performances of Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett give gleaming performances, there's just simply not enough depth in the characters for us to care about either of them. I really think that if Joe Wright would have less attention to spinning cameras and more attention to scratching more than just the surface, this would have been a MUCH better movie.

Despite fight scenes that were too slow for the post-Jason Bourne era; Hanna is fairly delicious from start to finish, but leaves you hungry for more substance.

~Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...